October 3, 2012

A Mother’s Hunger Games: Bento for My Boys

           Who wouldn't want to appease their children’s hunger? As much as make them enjoy every bite? To ensure that my teens get to eat their lunch in school, I have to be creative in preparing their packed lunch.  With the help of the ever reliable Google and some culinary pages, voilà! I started my bento! 

         The meal was more than enough to satisfy their hunger and curiosity.  It is both a feast to the stomach and the eyes. My styled bento is more appreciated.  Gone are days with the boring packed lunch my kids used to have.

         And they’re so proud of mommy in school. They’re gaining popularity because of the bento!   There are times teachers ask my boys to show to the faculty their bento. There are instances; teachers and classmates take picture of it.  So I decided doing photos of my boxed lunches and share it on FB pages. I Hope to inspire other moms or dads to make bento for their children. And hopefully make my boys “get” what I do!













        Of course, I make sure that my bento is what my boys really like to eat. My recipes are the basic and made from ingredients that are readily available in our place. I do “Pinoy” style bento or “baon” and at times the "oekakiben" or "picture bento", which is decorated to look like people, animals, or items such as flowers and plants.

No, I don't photograph everything I make!  I’m on a timetable or else my boys will be late in school.

 
 






For more photos to share. Dig in! at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bento_nini/

*Bento (弁当 bentō?)[1] is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento consists of rice, fish or meat, and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables, usually in a box-shaped container.
* en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento 

my bento tools




6 comments:

I would love to hear from you!