November 17, 2012

My US Tourist Visa Interview

Note: Hopefully, my blog could be of help to those who aspires to have one!

November 13, 2012/Tuesday

It was my eldest 16th birthday! I was up at 3 o’clock in the morning. I was supposed to prepare a festive breakfast for my birthday boy. But instead I was busy getting ready for my 6:30 am appointment at the US Embassy in Manila.

My son understood. Anyway, we could celebrate in the afternoon. He told me he asked God a US visa for me for his b-day wish… how sweet!

Left Cainta in a taxi cab at 4:15 am then arrived around 5am outside the US Embassy. There were already people lined up not far from the gate.

After two unofficial queues, the guard instructed the visa applicants to line up again in the tent area near the main gate of the embassy. There were 3 lines; one on the left is for the immigrant visa application, the middle one for the non-immigrants or tourists, while the right most are for the seafarers. Here the embassy staff members checked on my DS-160 confirmation letter and passport. They put an embassy bar-coded sticker at the back cover of my passport. And handed it back with a pink slip I need to fill with personal data.

Finally I entered the embassy. Inside, I walked through a metal detector while my bag and accordion file envelop went through the X-Ray machine.

Electronic gadgets like celfone, MP3, ipod, laptop, camera, and usb thumb drives are not allowed inside the embassy. Even food and bottled water are not allowed. In case you need to drink or eat, there is a snack stand inside the embassy holding area.


Outdoor Holding Area  / Photo source: Google

The guard asked me if I have water inside my bag. I said it was a bottle of cologne spray. She mistakenly assumed I have chewing gum in my mouth. She asked me to spit it out in the trash bin outside the building. Whoa! No way! I won’t hassle myself getting outside, so I swallowed the candy down my throat! There you go… gone in one gulp!

Then I was directed to a window to get a number. I was given 2001. Technically, I got the first number for the tourist visa applicants. Since my sked is 6:30am I headed straight to the NOX1 building which houses the consular services. Once inside, I walked through another security check. When done, I was ushered by embassy personnel to the left area of the building. There I filled up the pink form.


Inside NOX1 Building - Finger Scanning Area  / Photo Source: Google

STEP 1: Pre-screening
At 6:30 am, tourist visa applicants with numbers 2001-2010 were told to line up in front of the pre-screening windows area. Window 26 opened and I proceeded.

The pre-screener behind the window was a Filipina. I gave her my passport and DS-160 confirmation letter and pink slip. She asked my full name and birth date. It seemed there was a problem with my electronically attached photo on my DS-160 confirmation sheet. Good thing, I have a spare of my latest 2x2 photo. She scanned it and stapled it on my paper. She stamped the DS-160 confirmation letter with annotation to be filled by the consul officer. Then she took the pink slip and returned the letter and passport. I headed back to my seat waiting for the next step.

STEP 2: Finger Scanning
Around 6:45, the numbers were randomly flashed on the boards. My number came up fifth – 2001 at Window 16. Behind the glass was a hefty white American guy with a warm and friendly voice. He asked me my full name and birth date while glimpsing on his computer. He instructed me throughout the process. Then he stamped my DS-160 confirmation sheet “Captured”. He wished me with “Have a nice day!”

When it was done, I sat down in the front seats beside a man who happens to be a priest because he is a wearing black clerical shirt. I smiled at him. I saw the sign! God sent me a good sign.

STEP 3: Interview
The US Embassy personnel told us that Consular Interview will start at 7:30am and applicants need to keep an eye on the boards. Then the wait is over. Only one window opened and the first number came up on the boards. OMG! It was 2001, my number! 


Interview Area  /  Photo Source: Google


As I rushed to the window, I tell you, all eyes were on me! Such a pressure, not just because I was the first to be watched, the first to approved/disapproved, the first of… many, but also because of the pressure my 3-inch wedge killer shoes was putting on me! Oh, not to forget the 1 kilo accordion file envelop on my left hand.

But the embassy staff asked me to wait standing at the back of a young couple with their one year old baby girl. They were “expedite” case, they have no number. They’re given priority. The baby girl smiled to me. Oh heaven sent an angel! Ahihihi…It must have been the breakfast I missed! The young couple along with their little angel was given a US visa.

Now, it’s my turn; this time the interview was with a white American consul. He was a handsome man on his late 30’s I guessed. I greeted him good morning and he greeted me back and smiled. I handed him my passport and DS-160 confirmation letter. He then looked at my files in the computer and he started asking questions:

1.  Is this your first time to get a US Visa? Yes, it is.
2.  What is your purpose of travel to the US? Tourism
3. What places do you want to go to in the US? I want to see San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Hollywood
4. Do you have relatives in the US? Yes, I have a niece in California
5. Any brother or sister in LA? No
6. Where will you be staying? At my niece’s place in California
7. How is your niece a relative? Distant? Family? She is family
8. What’s her status? She is a US citizen
9. How’d she come to the US? She is married to a US citizen
10.  Are you married? Yes
11.  Where is your husband? He is an OFW in Canada
12.  What does he do? He is a warehouse shipper/receiver for Trenton Cold Storage
13  .How long is he in Canada? 5 years
14.  You have children? Yes
15.  How many? I have 2 boys
16  .How old are they? 14 and 16
17.  Where do they live? They live with me
18.  Who is paying for your trip? My husband
19.  Who is travelling with you? Just me, I’m travelling alone. My husband is unable to get a leave from work and my boys are in school
20.  Why is it now you’re travelling to the US? This is the only time my work permits me
21.  What do you do? I’m a consultant at the Kids Haven Intervention Learning Center in Pasig City
22.  How’d you become a consultant? I’m a licensed teacher
23.  So you teach? No. I only do tutorial
24.  And what is your job as a consultant? As a consultant I do audit and submit improvement recommendations for the school curriculum


I tried to be calm and confident the whole time. I made sure to keep an eye contact with the consul. I made short, clear, to the point replies, in a loud and clear voice.

He told me that my visa is approved and expect to receive the passport within 7 working days. I was like stunned, looking at him writing something on my confirmation paper. Then he looked at me while I whispered, “ok now?” He said something that I can’t figure out because I was blown away. All I said is “Thank you!”

The consul didn’t even ask for any supporting documents. My first US visa interview and I nailed it!

I was interviewed on a Tuesday; the courier 2GO delivered my passport Friday morning. I was granted a 10 year multiple entry visa.

I thank God for giving me a generous consular officer! I thank God for those people who prayed with me and who supported me. I thank God that everything went off smoothly. All praises to God!


7 comments:

I would love to hear from you!