November 24, 2009

A Mother in Distress: Ear Piercing



"Mommy, can I get my ears pierced?"

"No Harvey!", I objected.

"Why not?"

"Because boys don't get their ears pierced, only girls do!"

"When can I get it?.. when I'm in high school...or in college? ..how old am i then?..how many years from now on?", Harvey reiterated.

I'm a little annoyed and groaned. "Are you listening Harvey?..it's not okay for boys to get their ears pierced...it's not acceptable...people will judge you.Besides your school would suspend you or worse kick you out of the school...that's it Harvey...no more talking..."

One month passed. But Harvey didn't give up. He would ask me about it again. He would reason out that a classmate had done it. Likewise sport celebrities and dancers flaunt it. I cannot imagine a 5th grader boy in a private school with his ears pierced.

His need was something I could not understand. Maybe he wants to make a fashion statement about himself. I could see the point. But he's too young...and what's next???...body piercing, tattoo...i could have endless thoughts...but please spare my boy.

It's not that having his ears pierce will make him headed for a life of trouble. I know he is a good kid. But I could not allow this small gift of free expression. Not now...maybe when he can stand up and he can live with it...a hole in the ear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!